GAME 3 TONIGHT: Tips at Portland (4/10)
EVERETT SILVERTIPS at PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS – VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM
- GAME 3: TUESDAY, April 10, 2018
- RADIO: 1380 AM / FM 95.3
- TIPS App
TONIGHT’S MATCHUP AND SERIES NOTES
Game 3, second round … sixth lifetime playoff matchup between the two teams, and the third in the last four seasons … the Silvertips defeated the Seattle Thunderbirds, 4-1 in the first round … Portland defeated Spokane, 4-3 in the first round … the Silvertips went 5-5-0-0 in the season series against Portland … they went 22-12-2-2 against opponents from the U.S. Division this season … the series features 12 players between the teams that have either been drafted or signed by NHL clubs … the Tips last won a Game 3 situation in the first round of the 2018 WHL Playoffs, at Seattle (3-1 victory).
ROUND 2: EVERETT vs PORTLAND (Series tied, 1-1)
GAME 1: Portland 5 – at Everett 2
GAME 2: at EVERETT 6 – Portland 0
GAME 3: at Portland | Tuesday, Apr. 10 – 7:00pm (Veterans Memorial Coliseum)
GAME 4: at Portland | Thursday, Apr. 12 – 7:00pm (Moda Center)
GAME 5: at EVERETT | Friday, Apr. 13 – 7:35pm (Angel of the Winds Arena)
GAME 6: at Portland | Sunday, Apr. 15 – 5:00pm (Venue to be announced) **
GAME 7: at EVERETT | Tuesday, Apr. 17– 7:05pm (Angel of the Winds Arena) **
** If necessary
THE SERIES IN A NUTSHELL
GAME 1 (POR 5 – EVT 2 / 4-6-18): The Everett Silvertips were unable to recover from a three goal deficit and the Portland Winterhawks used goals from five different sources to defeat the Tips, 5-2 before 4,286 fans at Angel of the Winds Arena in Game 1 of the second round of the 2018 WHL Playoffs. Matt Fonteyne and Sean Richards scored goals for the Tips in the second period, who nearly climbed completely out of a 3-0 hole. SHOTS: POR 36 – EVT 34
GAME 2 (EVT 6 – POR 0 / 4-7-18): Patrick Bajkov earned his first career playoff hat trick, added an assist, and Carter Hart turned in his fourth career playoff shutout on 26 saves as the Everett Silvertips cruised to a 6-0 victory over the Portland Winterhawks in Game 2 of the second round of the WHL playoffs in front of 5,631 fans at Angel of the Winds Arena. The Silvertips tied the series, 1-1. The Tips earned their largest margin of victory, bouncing back one night after dropping a 5-2 loss on home ice in Game 1. Martin Fasko-Rudas, Garrett Pilon and Sean Richards spelled the offense with a goal each, while Matt Fonteyne earned a pair of assists.
MORE ON GAME 3
The Silvertips are 8-17 lifetime in Game 2 situations … they are 6-6 in Game 2 situations at home … their last time out was a 5-4 overtime defeat to the Seattle Thunderbirds in the opening round of the 2018 WHL Playoffs
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- PLAYOFF PRIMED: The Silvertips have reached the WHL Playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons, extending a current WHL record streak … the Tips went 18-7-2-3 in 1-goal games in the regular season and 22-12-2-2 against opponents from the U.S. Division.
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips won 37 of their final 48 games … they scored a franchise record 246 goals … the Silvertips had 5 games of scoring 8 goals or more in the regular season … for the first time in franchise history, they boasted seven different 20-goal scorers on the roster, led by Connor Dewar (38).
- ONTO THE ELITE EIGHT: The Silvertips have advanced to the second round for the fourth consecutive year … they are in search of their third trip to the Conference Finals in franchise history …
- HART OF THE MATTER: 19-year old Carter Hart, three-time reigning Silvertips MVP and back-to-back WHL Goaltender of the Year, led the WHL in both goals-against-average (1.60), save percentage (.947) and shutouts (7) … the Philadelphia Flyers prospect was named Western Conference Goaltender of the Year for the third straight season on Mar. 21 … he is in his in his 4th season with the Silvertips, the franchise leader in wins (116) … He was named WHL Goaltender of the Month (March) and CHL Goaltender of the Week (ending Apr. 1).
- SPREADING IT AROUND: The Silvertips have scored 24 goals in the first six games of the playoffs … 18 players have registered at least a point … 12 different Tips players have recorded a goal.
THE SILVERTIPS IN ROUND ONE (DEFEATED SEATTLE, 4-1)
GAME 1 (EVT 4 – SEA 1 / 3-23-18): The Everett Silvertips jumped out in front of the Seattle Thunderbirds early and maintained a sizeable lead throughout the game in a 4-1 victory, in Game 1 of the WHL Playoffs first round before 4,247 fans at Angels of the Winds Arena on Friday night. Patrick Bajkov was the first star of the game with a pair of goals, while Garrett Pilon and Bryce Kindopp each earned a goal. Matt Fonteyne collected 3 assists. SHOTS: EVT 46 – SEA 26
GAME 2 (SEA 5 – EVT 4 (OT) / 3-24-18): Garrett Pilon’s hat trick forced overtime with less than a minute left in regulation but Zack Andrusiak’s winner at 5:04 helped the Seattle Thunderbirds sneak by the Everett Silvertips, 5-4 in sudden death overtime before 5,694 fans at Angels of the Winds Arena on Saturday night … the best-of-seven series is tied, 1-1 … Pilon’s hat trick was the first in postseason for the Tips since Carson Stadnyk accomplished his against Spokane, Mar. 27, 2015 against the Spokane Chiefs. Martin Fakso-Rudas got the other Tips goal while three separate Tips registered multi point games. SHOTS: EVT 49 – SEA 33
GAME 3 (EVT 3 – SEA 1 / 3-27-18): Matt Fonteyne scored twice and Carter Hart furnished 33 saves to lift the Everett Silvertips to a 3-1 victory and a 2-1 series lead over the Seattle Thunderbirds before 5,600 fans at accesso ShoWare Center on Tuesday night in WHL Playoff action. The Silvertips recovered from an early 1-0 deficit and 22 shots by Seattle in the first ten minutes before Reece Vitelli tied the game. They recaptured home ice advantage in the series and outshot Seattle, 25-10 in the final 40 minutes. SHOTS: EVT 37 – SEA 34
GAME 4 (EVT 7 – SEA 3 / 3-30-18): The Everett Silvertips took a commanding lead in the first period with three goals and the Seattle Thunderbirds were unable to cue the comeback, in a 7-3 Silvertips victory in Game 4 of the WHL Playoffs’ first round before 4,175 fans at accesso ShoWare Arena on Friday night. Seven different Silvertips scored in the game, producing a wire to wire effort while Connor Dewar, who scored the first penalty shot goal in Silvertips playoff history, earned first star honors with a goal and pair of assists. Kevin Davis earned third star honors on the backend with a goal and an assist, and was +3 on the evening. SHOTS: EVT 36 – SEA 31
GAME 5 (EVT 4 – SEA 0 / 3-31/18): The Everett Silvertips eliminated the Seattle Thunderbirds in a 4-1 series victory, winning Game 5, 4-0 before 6,179 fans at Angel of the Winds Arena in downtown Everett on Saturday in WHL Playoff action. The Silvertips have advanced to the second round for the fourth straight season, knocking out their U.S. Division rivals by outscoring the Thunderbirds, 11-3 in the final two games. Carter Hart had his third career playoff shutout with 36 saves. Connor Dewar had his second consecutive three point game and Riley Sutter earned the game winning goal. SHOTS: EVT 46 – SEA 36
Six different Western Conference Awards and four different Silvertips were honored by the WHL on Mar. 21:
- PLAYER OF THE YEAR: CARTER HART (G)
- GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR: CARTER HART (G)
- COACH OF THE YEAR: DENNIS WILLIAMS
- EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR: GARRY DAVIDSON (GENERAL MANAGER)
- 1ST TEAM ALL-STAR: CARTER HART (G)
- 2ND TEAM ALL-STAR: PATRICK BAJKOV (RW)