GAME 5 TONIGHT: Tips vs. Thunderbirds (3/31)
EVERETT SILVERTIPS vs. SEATTLE THUNDERBIRDS – A.O.T.W. ARENA
- GAME 5: Saturday, March 31, 2018
- RADIO: 1380 AM / FM 95.3
- TIPS App
TONIGHT’S MATCHUP AND SERIES NOTES
Game 5, first round … fourth lifetime playoff matchup and in the last five seasons … the Silvertips lead the series, 3-1 and can eliminate the Thunderbirds and advance onto the second round tonight with a victory … the Silvertips went 22-1-0-2 on the road and 22-12-2-2 against opponents from the U.S. Division this season … the Silvertips went 6-2-0-2 in the regular season series against the Thunderbirds … this is the 5th occasion in Tips history that they have led the series, 3-1 (Tips have won 4 playoff series in that scenario).
ROUND 1: EVERETT vs SEATTLE (Tips lead series, 3-1)
GAME 1: at EVERETT 4 – Seattle 1
GAME 2: Seattle 4 – at Everett 4 (OT)
GAME 3: EVERETT 3 – at Seattle 1
GAME 4: EVERETT 7 – at Seattle 3
GAME 5: at EVERETT | Saturday, Mar. 31 – 7:05pm (Angel of the Winds Arena)
GAME 6: at Seattle | Tuesday, Apr. 3 – 7:05pm (accesso ShoWare Center) **
GAME 7: at EVERETT | Wednesday, Apr. 4– 7:05pm (Angel of the Winds Arena) **
** If necessary
SERIES IN A NUTSHELL:
GAME 1 (EVT 4 – SEA 1 / 3-23-18): The Everett Silvertips jumped out in front of the Seattle Thunderbirds early and maintained a sizeable lead throughout the game in a 4-1 victory, in Game 1 of the WHL Playoffs first round before 4,247 fans at Angels of the Winds Arena on Friday night. Patrick Bajkov was the first star of the game with a pair of goals, while Garrett Pilon and Bryce Kindopp each earned a goal. Matt Fonteyne collected 3 assists. SHOTS: EVT 46 – SEA 26
GAME 2 (SEA 5 – EVT 4 (OT) / 3-24-18): Garrett Pilon’s hat trick forced overtime with less than a minute left in regulation but Zack Andrusiak’s winner at 5:04 helped the Seattle Thunderbirds sneak by the Everett Silvertips, 5-4 in sudden death overtime before 5,694 fans at Angels of the Winds Arena on Saturday night … the best-of-seven series is tied, 1-1 … Pilon’s hat trick was the first in postseason for the Tips since Carson Stadnyk accomplished his against Spokane, Mar. 27, 2015 against the Spokane Chiefs. Martin Fakso-Rudas got the other Tips goal while three separate Tips registered multi point games. SHOTS: EVT 49 – SEA 33
GAME 3 (EVT 3 – SEA 1 / 3-27-18): Matt Fonteyne scored twice and Carter Hart furnished 33 saves to lift the Everett Silvertips to a 3-1 victory and a 2-1 series lead over the Seattle Thunderbirds before 5,600 fans at accesso ShoWare Center on Tuesday night in WHL Playoff action. The Silvertips recovered from an early 1-0 deficit and 22 shots by Seattle in the first ten minutes before Reece Vitelli tied the game. They recaptured home ice advantage in the series and outshot Seattle, 25-10 in the final 40 minutes. SHOTS: EVT 37 – SEA 34
GAME 4 (EVT 7 – SEA 3 / 3-30-18): The Everett Silvertips took a commanding lead in the first period with three goals and the Seattle Thunderbirds were unable to cue the comeback, in a 7-3 Silvertips victory in Game 4 of the WHL Playoffs’ first round before 4,175 fans at accesso ShoWare Arena on Friday night. Seven different Silvertips scored in the game, producing a wire to wire effort while Connor Dewar, who scored the first penalty shot goal in Silvertips playoff history, earned first star honors with a goal and pair of assists. Kevin Davis earned third star honors on the backend with a goal and an assist, and was +3 on the evening. SHOTS: EVT 36 – SEA 31
MORE ON GAME 5
The Silvertips are 7-7 lifetime in Game 5 … their last Game 5 win was in the first round of the 2017 playoffs, when the Silvertips defeated the Victoria Royals, 3-2 in sudden death overtime (Eetu Tuulola goal).
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- PLAYOFF PRIMED: The Silvertips have reached the WHL Playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons, extending a current WHL record streak … the Tips went 18-7-2-3 in 1-goal games in the regular season and 22-12-2-2 against opponents from the U.S. Division.
- TORRID TIPS: The Tips won 37 of their final 48 games … they scored a franchise record 246 goals … the Silvertips had 5 games of scoring 8 goals or more in the regular season … for the first time in franchise history, they boasted seven different 20-goal scorers on the roster, led by Connor Dewar (38).
- NOT STANDING PAT: Patrick Bajkov, the leading Tips scorer, set the new Silvertips all-time scoring record with 264 points on Feb. 2, when he surpassed Zach Hamill with a first period power play goal … Florida Panthers prospect has twice tied his career high of 5 points … he is the Tips all-time leader in goals, points, and assists … Bajkov had a goal and an assist in last night’s Game 4 win at Seattle.
- HART OF THE MATTER: 19-year old Carter Hart, three-time reigning Silvertips MVP and back-to-back WHL Goaltender of the Year, led the WHL in both goals-against-average (1.60), save percentage (.947) and shutouts (7) … the Philadelphia Flyers prospect was named Western Conference Goaltender of the Year for the third straight season on Wednesday … he is in his in his 4th season with the Silvertips, the franchise leader in wins (116) … Hart made 28 saves in his Game 4 victory at Seattle and carries a lifetime save percentage of .921 in the postseason.
- SPREADING IT AROUND: The Silvertips have scored 18 goals in the first four games of the playoffs … 16 players have registered at least a point … 11 different Tips players have recorded a goal.
THIS DATE IN SILVERTIPS PLAYOFF HISTORY
EVT 2 – TC 0 (3/31/06): Zach Hamill scored both goals and Leland Irving (first star) outdueled Carey Price with a 25-save effort to lift the Silvertips to a 2-0 victory, eliminating the Tri-City Americans in the first round in a 4-1 series win … a crowd of 5,705 witnessed the Tips penalty kill going 5-of-5.
Six different Western Conference Awards and four different Silvertips were honored by the WHL on Mar. 21:
- PLAYER OF THE YEAR: CARTER HART (G)
- GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR: CARTER HART (G)
- COACH OF THE YEAR: DENNIS WILLIAMS
- EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR: GARRY DAVIDSON (GENERAL MANAGER)
- 1ST TEAM ALL-STAR: CARTER HART (G)
- 2ND TEAM ALL-STAR: PATRICK BAJKOV (RW)