GAME DAY / Tips at Tri-City (3/11)
EVERETT SILVERTIPS at TRI-CITY AMERICANS – TOYOTA CENTER
Saturday, March 11, 2017 | RADIO: Fox Sports AM 1380 / 95.3 FM | TIPS Mobile App
The Silvertips continue a six-game road trip tonight at Toyota Center, visiting the Tri-City Americans in the ninth meeting of the regular season … the Silvertips are in a stretch of five straight games against teams from the U.S. Division (2-1-0-0) … they currently hold a record of 17-11-5-2 against teams from the U.S. Division … the Silvertips road record this season is 16-8-6-1 … the Silvertips trail first place in the U.S. Division and Western Conference by one point with six games remaining … they have two games in hand on first place Seattle.
SEA 3 – EVT 2 (3-10-17): Ethan Bear’s slap shot with less than three minutes remaining in regulation stood as the eventual game winner, helping the Seattle Thunderbirds sneak past the Everett Silvertips, 3-2 before 5,204 fans at ShoWare Center on Friday in WHL action. Connor Dewar and Sean Richards scored in the series finale, while Carter Hart made 19 saves. The game also began with Seattle leading scorer Mathew Barzal leaving the ice before the National Anthem and did not return for the remainder of the game.
NEXT THREE GAMES (all times PT)
DATE OPPONENT TIME SITE RADIO
3/12/17 @ Portland 5:00pm Moda Center KRKO 1380 AM & 95.3 FM/ Tips App
3/15/17 @ Kelowna 7:05pm Prospera Place KRKO 1380 AM & 95.3 FM/ Tips App
3/17/17 @ Victoria 7:05pm Save-On-Foods MC KRKO 1380 AM & 95.3 FM/ Tips App
SERIES SCHEDULE NOTES
Tonight is the ninth of ten meetings this season against Tri-City … the Silvertips and Americans last met Feb. 1 and the Silvertips took a 5-1 defeat at Toyota Center … the Tips are 21-30-7-2 on the road, lifetime at Tri-City … the two clubs will meet one more time in Kennewick to close the series … Patrick Bajkov, Kevin Davis, and Dominic Zwerger each have seven points to lead the Silvertips in the head-to-head series.
SEASON SERIES (Silvertips 4-2-2-0)
October 2nd Everett 2 – at Tri-City 3 (OT)
October 5th at Everett 3 – Tri-City 1
October 7th at Everett 1 – Tri-City 4
October 27th at Everett 4 – Tri-City 2
December 7th Tri-City 4 – at Everett 3 (OT)
December 16th at Everett 4 – Tri-City 1
January 21st Everett 4 – at Tri-City 2
February 1st Everett 1 – at Tri-City 5
March 11th at Tri-City 7:05PM PT
March 19th at Tri-City 5:05PM PT
- The Silvertips earned the 500th win in their franchise history on Feb. 4 vs. Vancouver
- Kevin Constantine earned the 300th win in his Silvertips career on Nov. 26 vs. Prince George
- Patrick Bajkov played in the 200th game of his Silvertips career on Sept. 23 vs. Vancouver
- Carter Hart played in the 100th game of his Silvertips career on Oct. 11 at Prince George
- Noah Juulsen played in his 200th game of his Silvertips career and collected his 100th point on Oct. 22 at Victoria
- Dominic Zwerger played in his 200th WHL game on Oct. 22 at Victoria
- Matt Fonteyne earned the 100th point in his Silvertips career on Jan. 6 at Seattle
- Aaron Irving is 3 assists away from 100 in his WHL career
- Kevin Davis earned the 100th point in his Silvertips and WHL career on Mar. 4 vs Seattle
IF THE PLAYOFFS BEGAN TODAY …
The Silvertips would face the Tri-City Americans in the opening round of the WHL Playoffs … the Silvertips have clinched home ice advantage.
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- ROAD WARRIORS: With still five games to play on the road, the Silvertips have built a road record of 16-8-6-1 … their penalty killing on the road is fifth in the league at 80.9 percent … they have outshot their opponent on the road 20 times this season (12-4-3-1 record).
- THE GOLD STANDARD OF CONSISTENCY: The Silvertips clinched a playoff berth in a 3-1 win over Kamloops on Feb. 25 … it was the 14th time in 14 seasons they clinched a playoff spot … the Silvertips are the only WHL team to make the postseason every year since they began play in 2003-04 … they have secured home ice advantage in the first round.
- YOUTH IS SERVED: 13 players on the Silvertips roster are 98-born or younger … minus goaltender Carter Hart, they have combined for 646 games of experience this season, averaging to 53.8 games played … 99-born Jake Christiansen has played in all 65 games this season … 99-born Connor Dewar and rookie defenseman Wyatte Wylie have each missed only one game this season.
- 40-WIN CLUB: On Wednesday, the Silvertips defeated Spokane, 4-0 to reach the 40-win plateau for the fifth time in franchise history … they have reached 40 wins in two of the last three seasons.
- FIRST THING’S FIRST: The Silvertips scored the first goal of the game in 40 games this season … when scoring first, the Silvertips are 31-3-5-1 this season … the Silvertips scored first, in last night’s game at Seattle (3-2 defeat).
ON THE BOARD
The following Silvertips have collected their first career WHL point this season:
- Bryce Kindopp (goal) – Sept. 23 at VAN (7-3 win)
- Brett Kemp (assist) – Sept. 23 at VAN (7-3 win)
- Wyatte Wylie (assist) – Sept. 30 at POR (3-1 win)
- Eetu Tuulola (goal) – Oct. 2 at TC (2-3 OT loss)
- Montana Onyebuchi (assist) – Oct. 11 at PG (4-0 win)
- Brandson Hein (assist) – Oct. 27 vs. TC (4-2 win)
- Orrin Centazzo (goal) – Nov. 16 at KAM (1-2 OT loss)
- Ian Walker (assist) – Dec. 28 vs VAN (4-1 win)
BY THE NUMBERS – THE TIPS RECORD, WHEN THEY SCORE A GOAL:
HART HAULS HONORS
Goaltender Carter Hart – CHL Goaltender of the Year, first goaltender selected in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft … named WHL Goaltender of the Week on Nov. 21 and again on Mar. 1 … was named to the CHL/NHL Prospects Game in 2015-16 in Vancouver (Team Orr) … named Silvertips MVP for the 2015-16 season … during the month of November he was 6-1-2 and led the league with a 1.11 goals-against-average, in addition to a .959 save percentage and three shutouts … he is coming off CHL Goaltender of the Week honors, the WHL Goaltender of the Month and his second straight WHL Goaltender of the Week award .. he is 82-38-7-10 with 19 shutouts in 144 career WHL regular season appearances … he is seven shutouts shy of the WHL all-time shutout record (26), held by Tyson Sexsmith.
CARTER HART, AMONG THE SILVERTIPS LEADERS:
WINS (CAREER) SHUTOUTS (CAREER)
|1||Leland Irving||03-08||107||1||Leland Irving||03-08||21|
|2||Carter Hart||13-17||82||2||Carter Hart||13-17||19|
|3||Austin Lotz||11-15||72||3||Michael Wall||03-05||12|
|4||Kent Simpson||07-12||71||4||Austin Lotz||11-15||10|
|5||Michael Wall||03-05||35||5||Kent Simpson||07-12||6|
THE KEVIN CONSTANTINE FILE
Kevin Constantine is in his eighth season overall as head coach of the Silvertips, ranking as the club’s all-time leader in wins (322) and posting a record of 322-181-66 in his Everett career. All four of the Silvertips’ division titles have been achieved with Constantine as head coach, most recently in 2014-15 which was Everett’s first since 2006-07. He was the recipient of the Dunc McCallum Trophy (WHL Coach of the Year) in 2003-04, when the Silvertips broke nearly every WHL expansion record and became the first expansion team in WHL history to win a division title. Constantine has coached in the NHL over the course of seven seasons with San Jose, Pittsburgh and New Jersey, helping guide all three clubs to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
The Silvertips roster, categorized by birth year and hometown:
96: Skrumeda, Irving, Zwerger
97: Bajkov, Fonteyne, Skoleski, Juulsen, Davis, Petit, Babych, Anderson
98: Hart, Richards, Tuulola, Hein
99: Sutter, King, Dewar, Christiansen, Wylie, Kindopp
00: Centazzo, Walker, Onyebuchi
BC: Bajkov, Juulsen, Christiansen, Davis, Walker, Babych
AB: Sutter, Fonteyne, Centazzo, Richards, Kindopp, Irving, Hart
MB: Hein, Skoleski, Dewar, Onyebuchi, Skrumeda, Petit