TIPS NEXT // Prospect Update, 1.8
By Hailey Robinson – Silvertips Staff Writer
Silvertips prospects are succeeding at various levels of hockey all across Western Canada. Catch up on how the recent draft picks are playing:
- Olen Zellweger (D): reassigned to OHA Edmonton Prep after spending a week with the Silvertips on an affiliated player basis. Zellweger current leads defensemen on his team in scoring with 21 points (7g-14a), putting him at sixth highest scorer on the team. He was the Silvertips first pick in the 2018 Bantam Draft, a 46th overall selection in the second round. Zellweger will be competing at the 2019 Canada Winter Games in February as a member of Team Alberta.
- Ty Gibson (D): sixth in scoring on the team as a member of the South Island Royals of the BCMML with 10 points (4g-6a). He was drafted 64th overall in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft by the Silvertips. Gibson will be a member of Team BC at the 2019 Canada Winter Games.
- Dylan Anderson (D): averaging nearly a point per game with Yale Hockey Academy Prep, with 17 points (3g-14a) in 18 games this season. He’s the top scoring defenseman on the team, and fourth overall in scoring. As a member of the 2017-18 Fraser Valley Thunderbirds, he was a BCMML champion. Anderson was drafted 75th overall by the Silvertips in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.
- Blake Lyda (G): .917 save percentage and a 2.05 GAA in two games with the CAC Gregg Distributors of the Alberta Midget Hockey League this season. Lyda made his WHL debut as a 15 year old last season with 32 saves against the Americans before returning to the CAC Canadians. Lyda was drafted 86th overall by the Silvertips in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.
- Brayden Morrison (F): leading the Calgary Flames Midget AAA of the AMHL with 24 points (8g-16a) in 23 games this season, putting him in the top 30 of the AML in scoring. He has also played six games with the Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL this season as an affiliate player, the most recent on Jan 1. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Silvertips in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft.
- Carter Halamandaris (F): 16 points (10g-6a) with the Winnipeg Wild of the Manitoba Midget Hockey league this season. He was drafted by the Silvertips 86th overall in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft.
- Nate Goodbrandson (F): second on the Winnipeg Thrashers of the MMHL in scoring with 35 points (13g-22a) this season, and is in the top 15 in scoring in the league. He was drafted in the seventh round by the Silvertips in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft.
- Braden Holt (G): .914 save percentage and a 2.47 GAA in nine games with Honeybaked U15 of the High Performance Hockey League in Detroit, MI. In October, he kept the Oakland Junior Grizzlies scoreless in 36 minutes of play, and has posted five wins this season.