EVERETT SILVERTIPS vs SEATTLE THUNDERBIRDS – XFINITY ARENA
Sunday, October 22, 2017 | RADIO: Fox Sports 1380 AM / FM 95.3 | TIPS App
The Silvertips finish a three-game homestand … it is their first matchup of the season against the Seattle Thunderbirds out of ten overall and the Tips are aiming to break a two-game winless streak at home … they are currently 1-2-1-0 at XFINITY Arena … the two teams squared off in the second round, in each of the last two postseasons … today’s game is the second of nine the Tips play on Sunday at XFINITY Arena.
NEXT THREE GAMES (all times PT)
DATE OPPONENT TIME SITE RADIO
10/27/17 @ Kamloops 7:00pm Sandman Centre KKXA 1520 AM & FM 101 /Tips App
10/29/17 @ Portland 5:00pm Memorial Coliseum KRKO 1380 AM & 95.3 FM/Tips App
11/3/17 vs. Prince George 7:35pm XFINITY Arena KKXA 1520 AM & FM 101 /Tips App
LAST GAME (MJ 6 – EVT 3 / 10-20-17): Brett Howden, Noah Gregor, and Jayden Halbgewachs combined for eight points on the top line, and the Everett Silvertips pumped 20 shots in the third period in a 6-3 defeat to the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday before 4,178 fans at XFINITY Arena in WHL action. Sean Richards returned to the lineup to collect the first multi goal game of his WHL career, while Matt Fonteyne buried his eighth goal of the season while falling short on a third period penalty shot. The Tips, outshooting Moose Jaw 48-33, have blasted 96 shots in the last two games.
SERIES SCHEDULE NOTES
First of 10 meetings this season between the Tips and Seattle Thunderbirds … the Silvertips own a 10-0-1-2 record in the last 13 meetings against Seattle at XFINITY Arena … today’s game is the 143rd in the all-time series and the Silvertips are 68-56-18 … the teams met in the second round of the WHL Playoffs, in each of the last two seasons … the last meeting in Everett for the regular season was Mar. 4, 2017 and the Tips collected a 4-2 victory … Riley Sutter and Kevin Davis each had nine points against the Thunderbirds last season, leading the Silvertips in scoring for the series.
|Oct. 22||Seattle||4:05 pm PDT|
|Nov. 17||Seattle||7:35 pm PST|
|Nov. 18||at Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Jan. 26||Seattle||7:35 pm PST|
|Jan. 27||at Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Feb. 16||at Seattle||7:35 pm PST|
|Feb. 17||Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Feb. 24||at Seattle||6:05 pm PST|
|Mar. 3||Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
|Mar. 10||at Seattle||7:05 pm PST|
TOP 5 TIPS TIDBITS
- STEADY AS SHE GOES: The Silvertips are the only team in the last 14 WHL seasons to reach the playoffs every season … they have captured five U.S. Division titles, most recently last season when they went 44-16-9-3.
- DEWAR OF GOOD DEEDS: Connor Dewar (development camp, Toronto Maple Leafs and draft eligible) is tied for second in the league in shots (65) and is fourth on the Tips with 13 points in 13 games … he had a Tips season high 11 shots on Wednesday vs. Tri-City.
- DAY BY DAVIS: Kevin Davis logged a pair of assists again on Friday to extend his scoring streak to ten consecutive games … his 14 points in 12 games are tied for third among defenseman in the league for points.
- RILEY ON THE RADAR: Riley Sutter, third year Silvertips forward, was named to the NHL Central Scouting Service’s “Players to Watch” Preliminary list on Oct. 3 (“B” rating) … he had 9 points on the 9 game road trip, also tying for the club lead with 5 goals … he has six points in the last five games.
- NO LY(DA), IT HAPPENED: Goaltender Blake Lyda earned third star on Wednesday with 32 saves in his WHL debut … he became the fourth goaltender, at 15-years old and as an AP call-up, in Silvertips history to play in a WHL game (Carter Hart, Kent Simpson, Leland Irving).
PROSPECTING FOR GOLD
The WHL Cup is underway tonight in Calgary, featuring Tips prospects across three participating provinces: defenseman Ronan Seeley and forward Brayden Morrison (Alberta), forward Nate Hinds (Manitoba), and forward Jackson Berezowski (Saskatchewan). All four Tips prospects were selected in the 2017 WHL Draft. Live updates are available at www.whl.ca/scores. Seeley and Morrison will suit up in the gold medal game for Alberta on Sunday.
- Seeley (4 games, 1-2=3, +6, 10 SOG), Morrison (4 games, 1-1=2, +3, 2 SOG ), Hinds (4 games, 1 shot), Berezowski (4 games, 4 shots)
- Patrick Bajkov is 20 games away from 300 in his WHL career
- Kevin Davis is 12 games away from 300 in his WHL career
- Carter Hart is 3 shutouts away from the Silvertips all-time record and 8 away from the WHL all-time record
- Riley Sutter played in his 100th career game in the WHL on Sept. 24 vs. Tri-City
- Kevin Davis earned the 100th assist in his Tips and WHL career on Oct. 13 at Lethbridge
ON THE BOARD
The following Silvertips have collected their first career WHL point this season:
- Reece Vitelli (goal) – Sept. 23 vs. POR
- Gianni Fairbrother (assist) – Sept. 29 at KEL
- Pavel Azhgirei (assist) – Sept. 30 at TC
- Martin Fasko-Rudas (assist) – Oct. 8 at EDM
- Ethan Browne (assist) – Oct. 10 at RD
CLIMBING THE LADDER
The Silvertips, ranking among the franchise all-time leaders:
|2||10, 21||Zack Dailey||C||330|
|1.||Leland Irving||2003 – 2008||107|
|2.||Carter Hart||2013 – Current||86|
|3.||Austin Lotz||2011 – 2015||72|
|4.||Kent Simpson||2007 – 2012||71|
|5.||Michael Wall||2003 – 2005||35|
|1. Leland Irving||2003 – 2008||21|
|2. Carter Hart||2013 – Current||19|
|3. Michael Wall||2003 – 2005||12|
|4. Austin Lotz||2011 – 2015||10|
|5. Kent Simpson||2007 – 2012||6|