By Staci C. – Silvertips staff writer
EVERETT, Wash. – Gage Goncalves (career high) and Bryce Kindopp each collected four points nights while Dustin Wolf moved into a third place tie on the club all-time shutout list (12) with 26 saves, helping the Everett Silvertips hammer the Victoria Royals in a 6-0 victory on Saturday before 4,420 fans in downtown Everett on Saturday night.
Wolf moved into a third place tie with Michael Wall on the shutout list while Kindopp moved into 17th on the Tips all-time points list, surpassing Dan Gendur and Torrie Wheat. The Tips earned their first victory of the season and outshot the Royals, 32-26.
Wyatte Wylie staked the Tips to a 1-0 lead with 4:34 left in the first period on a power-play goal, finishing a fantastic tic-tac-toe set up by Kindopp and Goncalves at the right circle. Kindopp stashed a backhander past Shane Farkas just 17 seconds into the second period for a 2-0 edge, and Justyn Gurney stashed a rebound into a wide open net, set up by Kindopp’s blast from the right circle at 9:30 for a 3-0 cushion.
Wolf turned away 13 shots through the first two periods and steered loose pucks into the corners and out of play with comfortable ease for much of the night.
Max Patterson walked out into the slot for a 4-0 lead, his first goal of the season at 7:21 of the third and Jack Lambert earned his first career WHL assist, helping dig the puck from the backboards.
From there, the Tips maneuvered to open the floodgates. Kindopp and Wylie each scored their second goals just 30 seconds apart, beginning with Kindopp going bar down on Farkas off the rush at 9:07 for a 5-0 lead. On the next shift, the Tips had Wylie cruising to the right circle and his snap shot finished Farkas’ work with a 6-0 lead, who was replaced for Brock Gould for the remainder of the game.
Farkas made 22 saves and Gould stopped all four shots in relief.
- Gage Goncalves (EVT)
- Dustin Wolf (EVT)
- Bryce Kindopp (EVT)
NOTES: Scratched from the lineup were Martin Fasko-Rudas, Brendan Lee, Michal Gut, Gianni Fairbrother, and Braden Holt … Kindopp has six points in his first two games as captain … the Tips improved to 33-15-3-4 all time against Victoria and have won the last two meetings by a combined score of 11-1 … the Tips went 1-of-5 on the power play.
A DEEPER LOOK:
- A lot to say about this one, considering everything that could possibly go right did so. The kinks worked themselves out quite well and that kind of bounce back is something that you love to see as a hockey fan.
- Dustin Wolf and the special teams made sure not to pay for mistakes. Special teams greatly improved, seeing one goal scored on the power play, a lot of chances, 5 penalties killed off and many shorthanded chances including a penalty shot attempt by Bryce Kindopp.
- Kindopp had quite the opening weekend with 6 points (3 goals, 3 assists). The Tips’ fearless leader is making quite the impact on the team and on the scoreboard.
- Gage Goncalves: assist machine, as he was a play maker on 4 goals this evening. He continues to elevate his game and becoming a big contributor for the team.
- Wyatte Wylie was essential on the special teams tonight, he also netted two goals while earning points in both games.
- Recently drafted by the Calgary Flames, Dustin Wolf continues to showcase his rockstar WHL career with his 12th shutout of his career and first of the season – he made a big early save on Mitchell Prowse, and never looked back.
- Biggest surprise of the year thus far? Maybe that Aidan Sutter isn’t related to Riley? (Hey, we kid because we care!)
UP NEXT: The Tips open a four-game road swing starting on Saturday, Sept. 28 against the Kelowna Rockets at 7:05 p.m. (KRKO / WHL Live) and return home on Friday, Oct. 11 for a 7:35 p.m. match-up with the Kamloops Blazers at Angel of the Winds Arena.
2019-20 SCHEDULE, TICKET INFORMATION
The Tips full regular season schedule offers full 34-game season tickets, 22-game, and 14-game plans for as little as $215 total per seat. Deposits for $50 will secure a seat for the 2019-20 season, available at www.everettsilvertips.com/season or by calling (425) 252-5100 during normal business hours. Seven game packs are now on sale.
Follow the Silvertips: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Snapchat (evt_silvertips)