Here are your updates for all three Silvertips representing globally in the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship in Edmonton, Alberta:
DUSTIN WOLF (United States): 2nd career appearance
- (12/25) vs. Russia: United States loses, 5-3 … Wolf replaced starter Spencer Knight in the second period and didn’t allow a goal on 11 shots (Russia scored their 5th goal on an empty netter) … here is postgame video of Wolf
- (12/26) vs. Austria: United States wins, 11-0 … Wolf was named starter for the 6:30pm round robin contest … he recorded 10 saves as Team USA outshot Austria 73-10 … Wolf has stopped all 21 shots seen through two appearances.
- Jon Morosi of NHL Network reported that head coach Nate Leaman will name his starting goaltender on Saturday morning ahead of Team USA’s quarterfinal matchup vs. Slovakia, saying of Wolf and Spencer Knight that “both were lights out in practice.”
- (1/2) vs. Slovakia (QF): United States wins, 5-2 and advances to the Semifinal round
- (1/4) vs. Finland (SF): United States wins, 4-3 and advances to the Gold Medal game
USA: 3-1 in round robin play | NEXT: Jan. 5 – Gold Medal game vs. Canada (6:30pm PT)
KASPER PUUTIO (Finland): BRONZE MEDAL, 1st career appearance
- (12/25) vs. Germany: Finland wins, 5-3 … Puutio suited up on the club’s second defensive pairing … recorded a +1 rating and five shots on goal.
- (12/27) vs. Switzerland: Finland wins, 4-1 … Puutio suited up again on the club’s second defensive pairing … was +1 in the game with over 14 minutes of ice time.
- (12/30) vs. Slovakia: Finland wins, 6-0 … Puutio fired four shots on net in 17:25 of ice time.
- (12/31) vs. Canada: Finland loses, 4-1 … Puutio had two shots on net in 14:37 of total ice time.
- (1/2) vs. Sweden (QF): Finland wins 3-2 in dramatic fashion, scoring the game winner with less than 30 seconds left in regulation and rallying down 2-0 … Puutio suited up and skated in 22 shifts of 13:16 of ice time in the game.
- (1/4) vs. United States (SF): Finland loses 4-3 in a wild finish, rallying from a 3-1 deficit and surrendering the game winning goal with less than two minutes left in regulation … Puutio starred on the first two Finland goals with a pair of assists and was on the ice for the game tying goal, and earned Finland’s Player of the Game honors.
- (1/5) vs. Russia: Finland wins 4-1 … Puutio had a shot on net in 11:21 of ice time … the victory captures the bronze medal for Team Finland.
MICHAL GUT (Czech Republic): 1st career appearance
- (12/25): Day off
- (12/26): Tournament opener vs. Sweden: lost 7-1 … Gut suited up as center on their third line.
- (12/27): vs. Russia: Czech Republic won 2-0 … Gut competed in 10:13 of total ice time.
- (12/29): vs. Team USA: Czech Republic lost 7-0 … Gut suited up as center again on the program’s third line … recorded a shot on goal.
- (12/31): vs. Austria: Czech Republic won 7-0 … scratched from the lineup due to a reported minor injury.
- (1/2): vs. Canada (QF): Did not suit up (injury) as Canada eliminated Czech Republic, 3-0
HOW TO FOLLOW: